East Point in Fulton County, Georgia, serves as home to more than 35,000 people. It got its name from the fact that it is where the Atlanta & West Point Railroad ends in the east. The city boasts a great location, being conveniently near the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport and a mere several minutes away from Downtown Atlanta, and with access to three major interstates. However, the city has so much more than this. Get on a charter bus in East Point, Georgia and find out what these are.
There are many things you can see and do in East Point. These include:
1. Downtown. Downtown East Point is a diverse community located only 10 minutes from Downtown Atlanta. The best thing about the city's downtown area is that there is something for everyone. It is the heart of the city and is the central gathering area. You can find historical spots, shops, boutiques, spas and salons, restaurants, nightlife venues, and just about everything else.
2. East Point Historic Civic Block. This historic civic block can also be found in Downtown East Point. It has three historically significant buildings: the East Point City Hall, the City Auditorium, and the New Deal Library. It also has one memorial park, Victory Park.
3. The Dick Lane Velodrome. Hop on a charter bus in East Point, Georgia and visit the Velodrome, which was inspired by the 1972 Munich Olympics and was one of only two velodromes in the country when it was constructed in 1974 and is the only velodrome in the world with a green space, a large oak tree, and a creek running through the in-field. This bicycling track served as a training facility for the 1996 Centennial Olympic Games.
4. Parks. Jefferson Park Recreation Center has outdoor recreation facilities and programs that you will surely enjoy. You can fish, go walking, go camping, play sports, take part in fitness activities like zumba, play Bingo, join the deep sea fishing adventure, and many more.
Other parks in the city include:
5. Events. The city has "Taste of East Point" every May, where you can enjoy food, art, and music in the South Metro area. The local artists will be showcasing handmade items, there will be music from local bands, and you can get samplings of cuisine from different restaurants.
June is the time for the East Point Possums Show, the biggest drag show in the Southeast, where the red carpet is rolled out the drag queens take center stage. There will be musical and theatrical performances to raise money for certain causes.
In July, you can take part in the city's Fourth of July festivities, which include Ferris wheel rides, carousel spins, watermelon and pie-eating contests, and, of course, fireworks.
6. Camp Creek Marketplace. Herd your girlfriends into a charter bus in East Point, Georgia and head out for some well-deserved retail therapy. You can go to Camp Creek Marketplace and check out its hundred or so affordable shops and restaurants.