Hundreds of thousands of people travel across the nation to visit Washington D.C. for presidential inaugurations. Aside from being sworn in, the president also delivers an inaugural address and other traditions and ceremonies occur on January 20. Visit D.C. on inauguration Day to see the 45th U.S. president instated.
January 20 became the official date of inauguration beginning with the swearing in of Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1933. Many of the events that take place on Inauguration Day became established over the years. Today, nine events take place on Inauguration Day:
- Morning worship service. Incoming President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the tradition of attending a worship service.
- Procession to the Capitol. The current President accompanies the President-elect to the Capitol as part of the transition in turning over the presidency.
- Vice President’s swearing in ceremony. The vice president takes the oath of office.
- President’s swearing in ceremony. The president is sworn in at noon, at which point he officially becomes the nation’s new president.
- Inaugural Address. The president delivers the inaugural address. Addresses traditionally have ranged from 132 words (second term for President George Washington) to 8,445 words.
- Departure of Outgoing President. The outgoing President and First Lady leave the Capitol.
- Inaugural Luncheon. The new President, Vice President and guests attend a luncheon hosted by the Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies (JCCIC) at the U.S. Capitol.
- Inaugural Parade. The President and Vice President lead the parade, which is a procession of marching bands, marching units, mounted units and other performers going down Pennsylvania Avenue to the White House.
- Inaugural Ball. The Presidential Inaugural Committee plans official Inaugural balls for the president and others to attend.
Travel Safely and with Ease
As in any large city, you can expect there to be lots of traffic and limited parking. In general, people make travel arrangements instead of driving themselves on Inauguration Day. BusRental.com provides professional drivers to safely transport you and deal with parking. We can accommodate groups of all sizes. Bus charters are the safest form of ground transportation in the country and more eco-friendly than any other travel mode.
Reserve Your Vehicle Today
Book online, the fast and easy way. Call 1-888-502-3458 to reserve your vehicle.