The Ghosts Still Inhabit Eastern State Penitentiary-a Real Former Prison
It’s Terror Behind the Walls—The World’s Most Amazing Haunted Adventure
There are few things creepier than an old gothic prison, replete with 30 foot walls, crumbling cell blocks and empty guard towers. But what if you learned that the prison wasn’t abandoned, that ghosts have been known to walk the halls here for more than half a century. And what if you learned that you and your friends could have the spectral experience of a lifetime—Halloween in the deep recesses of the former correctional facility.
That’s right!! Eastern State Penitentiary, a former maximum security prison in Philadelphia that once housed such famous inmates as Al Capone and bank robber Willie Sutton, hosts an annual haunted house Halloween event known as “Terror Behind the Walls.” The annual fundraiser includes five attractions—the Infirmary, the Machine Shop, Lock Down, Quarantine 4D and Break Out. The production (and that’s what it really is) includes more than 200 performers, Hollywood quality lighting and special effects, digital sound and animatronic creatures, all designed to scare the living daylights out of you.
Ask yourself, though—if you’ve just been scared half to death, do you really want to get in your car and find your way home? Won’t you feel a little safer in a charter bus, with many of your friends and family close by? Why not book a trip to Terror Behind the Walls on a charter bus from BusRental.com. It’ll set your mind at ease.
The Eastern State Penitentiary—A History
Often considered by historians to be the world’s first true penitentiary, ESP opened in 1829 with a revolutionary wheel pattern for the cellblocks, which made solitary confinement the norm, rather than the exception. For most of the first 100 years the prison was operated, inmates were separated from each other in individual cells. The prison was supposedly visited by authors Charles Dickens and Alexis de Tocqueville in its early years.
Apart from Capone and Sutton (who escaped in 1945 through a 97 foot tunnel dug over the course of a year), ESP’s most famous inmate may have been Pep “the Cat-Murdering Dog,” a real canine who was incarcerated at the facility after allegedly killing then Governor Gifford Pinchot’s wife’s cat. Prison records contain a mug shot of Pep, as well as his inmate number.
The prison was officially closed in 1971. It is now a museum and historic site, open to visitors year round.
According to prison officials, reports of paranormal experiences began surfacing as early as the 1940s. It’s estimated that more than 60 teams of paranormal researchers come to the prison every year to explore its environs. It’s been filmed for episodes of Most Haunted Live, Paranormal Challenge, and Ghost Adventures, as well as The Learning Channel’s America’s Ghost Hunters.
Terror Behind the Walls opens on September 22 and runs weekends until October 11, when more performances are scheduled. Tickets run from $19 to $45 online, and up to $50 at the door. To see a schedule and learn more about tickets, visit the Terror Behind the Walls at Eastern State Penitentiary website.
A Charter Bus Rental—The Easiest Way In (and Out) of Prison!!
Even when you know it’s not real, the terror you experience at a place like Eastern State Penitentiary can wig you out. You don’t want to get behind the wheel of your after you’ve been behind the walls. With a charter bus from BusRental.com, you can decompress when you leave, sharing your experience with family and friends. There are other great reasons to travel by charter bus.
- Safety and security—Our drivers undergo rigorous training, so they are simply the best in the business. Another benefit of bus travel—there’s only one way on and off the bus, so you and your personal items will be safe and secure.
- Reliability—There’s virtually no such thing as a delay or cancellation with a bus. We will get you where you need to be when you need to be there.
- Flexibility—We don’t have a handful of prepackaged trips from which you’ll have to choose. You tell us where you want to go and what you want to do, and we will handle all the details, making certain your trip goes off without a hitch. In addition, we have a coach to fit any size of group.
- Affordability—Bus travel is hands-down the most cost effective way to travel. With the money you save, you can bring back some cherished souvenirs of your trip to Baltimore.
- Room to move—Our coaches have plush seating and wide aisles, so you can stretch your legs.
- The perfect-sized coach for your group—We have a wide array of vehicles, so that you can book the right bus for your party.
Book Your Charter Bus for Terror Behind the Walls Today
There’s no reason to wait another minute. You can make your reservation online, the fast and easy way. Call 1.888.502.3458 to reserve your vehicle.